Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It didn't fit!

ACCESSORY 7: Toe clips $12 @ Ebay
These strapless toe clips mount onto the pedals to secure the foot a bit better during the ride. Usually during a normal ride w/o the toe clips, only one foot turns the gears at a time. The one that pushes the pedal forward does all the work. With these toe clips, the other foot pulls the pedals back at the same time and helps turn the gear. It's supposed to be a bit more efficient. We'll see. The deciding factor for this particular model made by Zafel was the integrated toe grip that the other models didn't have.

This just came in the mail today! After unwrapping the package and test fitting it I found it didn't fit! Ugh! The holes on the toe clips didn't line up with the ones on my pedals! I guess they're not universal after all. I read a bit about it and others have drilled their own holes into the toe clips. I hesitated for probably only 15 seconds before reaching for my Black and Decker. About 20 minutes later, I was able to secure these.

I picked this particular pair b/c over the others b/c it didn't wrap around the foot as much. I figured during an emergency evacuation, I would have to hop out of this trike lighting fast and I didn't want anything slowing me down. The hole in the middle is also large enough to fit most types of shoes. I wear Adidas Sambas which have a pointier toe and this fits well into the void. The profile is also really low. There isn't much gap which holds the foot in well during use.

I took it out this evening and it really does do a good job! I can now push the pedals at other angles. My foot feels like it's part of the pedal and I don't have to worry as much about my foot slipping. My test run was only about 15-20 minutes, so we'll so how well they perform this weekend on my 1 hour ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment