Sunday, December 25, 2011

On The Road

The test ride impressed me. I'm glad I got the Speed. It really does live up to its name.

UPHILL:
The only things I've heard about the Catrike Speed were positive, but I couldn't help but to think that there are drawbacks. If speed is what it's known for, then perhaps braking or hill climbing are expected drawbacks. We'll see.

I quickly noticed after taking on the first hill that if there are any drawbacks of the Catrike Speed, it's not an inability to climb hills. The thing hauls up hills like none other - even in the middle chain ring! Of my first two rides lasting longer than 5 minutes, I only used the smallest chain ring on the second ride and even that was only out of curiosity.

The crazy thing is that it climbs ridiculously well on the second 42T chain ring! My Tornado's largest ring is 42T! The downhill chain ring on the KMX is the climbing ring on the Speed! That's nuts!

The KMX has a 22/32/42 crankset.
The Speed? 30/42/52.

If the Speed can climb on a 42T chain ring, the 30T small ring does wonders. With a 52T large ring, the trike feels like it has a huge gear range. I also noticed that having 9 speeds instead of my stock 7 allows minimal changing of the crankset. Most of the gear changing is done on the rear cassette.

Gotta exchange more Xmas gifts. More reviews to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment