Thursday, February 24, 2011

Conclusion for gear design

It's been almost a year since I've started analyzing gear options. I need to make a decision by the end of next month in order to give myself ample time to practice, get used to the system and other preparation for the ALC ride.

The Schlumpf is too expensive and weighs too much. It's no wonder most people don't have it. The system is pretty cool though and doesn't give you any gears you won't use. There's good points and bad points, but overall for my particular situation, the Schlump comes to the bottom of my preferred list.

1.
2.
3.
4. Schlumpf Mountain Drive

So now the choice is between the SRAM Dual Drive and the X-Class setup. I feel like I would eventually want both, but which one would help me on the Aids Life Cycle ride? This has to be an objective question and the answer is?

1. SRAM Dual Drive and X-Class combination
2.
3.
4. Schlumpf Mountain Drive

Well, the X-Class setup is way cheap compared to the other options. It's almost 1/4 the cost of the Schlumpf. Big plus on that! It also provides me lower gear inch for hill climbing than the Dual Drive would - at least with a 40T front chain ring.

Final decision?

1. SRAM Dual Drive and X-Class combination
2. X-Class stock setup
3. SRAM Dual Drive
4. Schlumpf Mountain Drive

0 comments:

Post a Comment